Chapters and sections

Subject: Chapters and sections
From: Aahz <aahz -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 23:56:05 GMT

I'm having some difficulty figuring out how to assemble the information
on installing and configuring the product I'm documenting. I'm less
interested in answers than in questions I should answer, and approaches
y'all have found successful. Here's the situation:

The product has a PC-hosted board, a device driver (interface between
library and hardware), a C library that contains the API (and is the
focus of the user/programmer), some utility programs (mostly for
configuring the driver), and some sample programs.

Installing and configuring each of these items is simple enough that
splitting into separate chapters is overkill, yet I suspect that one
chapter may be too large from a conceptual standpoint.

I currently have the information in a single chapter called Setup, with
sections in the following order (3 pages currently, expected to be about
12-15 total):
Installing the software
Using the library
Configuring the driver
Using the utility programs
Installing and configuring the board
Using the sample programs
Troubleshooting

I'm also interested in resources that specifically address this kind of
problem (I already have Woolever's book on software documentation).
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6
Androgynous kinky vanilla queer het

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question,
but to post the wrong information.