Re: Word

Subject: Re: Word
From: Aahz <aahz -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 18:45:18 GMT

In article <199409201855 -dot- AA19242 -at- inet1>,
Kevin Sporleder <kevinsp -at- crt -dot- com> wrote:
>Soon, our department may have to begin writing some documentation using Word 6
> (due to circumstances beyond our control). On this list, I have seen several
> remarks about problems with using Word for long documents. I am interested in
> how long a document can be before any problems begin.

As others have said, break it up into chapters. You can combine the
chapters four ways:

* Insert the actual files into one document. If you use a macro to do
this each time you need the files combined, this is the simplest route;
however, it will be the slowest. I don't recommend this approach unless
you need to update the combined file rarely.

* Use master documents. The "standard" approach in Word. Not
recommended unless 6.0c fixes a lot of bugs.

* Use {Link} fields. I may be doing something wrong, but I've had
problems with these.

* Use {RD} fields for Table of Contents and Index. Works only if you're
willing to manually repaginate, or if you use chapter numbers (e.g. 1-1,
1-2, ..., 2-1, 2-2, ...). This is the approach I'm using, with chapter
numbers.
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6
Androgynous kinky vanilla queer het

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question,
but to post the wrong information.