Re: Preparing doc for use beyond the culture of origin . .

Subject: Re: Preparing doc for use beyond the culture of origin . .
From: Elaine Winters <ewinters -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 15:22:21 -0700

I can recommend a few things I've found useful:

Trompennars, Fons: Riding the Waves of Culture:
Brealey Publishing

Rhinesmith, Stephen H.: A Manager's Guide to
Globalization:Business One Irwin

Hall, Edward T -- everything Dr. Hall has written
has proved enlightening.

and there are many more, of course.

Alas, much of the stuff that's been written is on a very
superficial - -'develop a checklist' level, and that's
unfortunate. This is an issue which must be addressed at
the deepest level of thought.

I've always thought it belongs in the dialogue on 'quality'
and 'customer service' that surfaces everytime a country
that pays better attention than we do to such matters - -
clobbers us economically. It really should be an ongoing
discussion, and 'Deming' style - - we need to keep getting
better at it.

We don't. We blunder around like 'ugly'
know-it-alls offending everyone in our path.

I have published several articles on this subject in
Technical Communication -- most recently: 2Q'94.

E. Winters: Principal Program Facilitating and Consulting
Berkeley, CA, USA 510-843-0909 ewinters -at- netcom -dot- com
Instructional Design * Interactivity * Cross - Cultural Communication