ACM SIGDOC

Subject: ACM SIGDOC
From: "Nancy S. Burns" <nburns -at- NOAO -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 1994 08:53:49 -0825

On Wed, 27 Jul 1994, Kamela J. Salyers <kjsalyer -at- FIREFLY -dot- PRAIRIENET -dot- ORG>
wrote:

>I just bought How to Write Usable User Documentation by Edmund Weiss. The
>appendix lists The Journal of Computer Documentation, Special Interest
>Group on Documentation of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM
>SIGDOC) as a recommended source. I am a fairly new member of STC but
>I have never heard of ACM. What is this Special Interest Documentation
>Group? Does any one have the address? phone? insights or information?
>Also, what can IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication offer?

IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers) is a professional
organization which offers member benefits, publications, and conferences.
One of their sub-groups, IEEE Professional Communication Society (PCS),
offers an annual conference (to members and non-members), a quarterly
journal, and a bi-monthly newsletter to members. If you are interested in
membership in PCS only, then I recommend applying for a "society affiliate"
membership, which costs about $45 (they don't promote this). Their customer
service number is 1-800-678-4333; e-mail: member -dot- services -at- ieee -dot- org

ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) also has a sub-group for
documentation, SIG-DOC, which publishes "The Journal of Computer
Documentation", and also offers an annual conference. Phone 212-626-0500.
E-mail: ACMHELP -at- ACM -dot- ORG -dot- To join ACM/SIGDOC, request associate membership
(about $80) and add about$20 for SIGDOC.

Nancy S. Burns
National Solar Observatory
Tucson, Arizona
e-mail: nburns -at- noao -dot- edu

"Writing a poem is taking over the 200-inch telescope carefully focused on
the galaxies born at the beginning of the universe and turning it to look
at a child eating mystery meat and string beans 300 miles away." from
"Incantation to Overcome Writer's Block, Maybe" by Lisa Yount.