Re: Finding out if anyone

Subject: Re: Finding out if anyone
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 1994 06:01:00 UTC

I am probably going to be flamed to a crisp for saying this, but when I get
reader surveys asking how I like your book (" your" being generic in this
case) I've usually just taken off the shrink wrap. By the time I've used
the book, I'm into using the product and I really don't think much about
doing a survey.

As for errors and complaints about the documentation, I don't feel
responsible for telling you what's wrong with the book. I know that's
rotten, but I don't get paid for it. I don't get a polite note of thanks.
I don't get a copy of the revised book (if in fact someone does revise it).
There's no incentive for me to write and tell you what I think needs to be
done.

However, I do tell people when I get good documentation. A recent good find
is the documentation for Microsoft Publisher. This documentation is both
online and book form. The two types of documentation are coordinated and it
is a pleasure to work with it. I will write a fan letter to Microsoft
telling them I like it. (Fan letters are my policy *anytime* I enjoy a fine
piece of writing.)

-Marilynne (putting up defenses now, flame away)
m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com