Re: Net advertising, complaining, et al.

Subject: Re: Net advertising, complaining, et al.
From: Soh Kam Hung <h -dot- soh -at- TRL -dot- OZ -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 10:39:06 +1000

Kelly Hoffman wrote:
> [ Many lines deleted. ]

> Basically, the question is this: How much effort are you willing to
> expend to keep this kind of junk out of your e-mailbox?

For every unwanted advertisement my mailbox, I send:

1. A copy of the advertisement and a note to the advertiser NOT to send
unsolicited advertising to me again.

2. If I can identify the advertiser's system administrator, I send two
replies. One goes to root -at- system, the other goes to postmaster -at- system -dot-

If I receive a chain letter or see a chain letter in a newsgroup,
such as the infamous ``David Rhodes'', I include a copy of ``Answers
to Frequently Asked Questions about Usenet'' and refer the sender to
Question 41.

It does not take me a long time send my replies, and I reckon that
if every annoyed net-user complains, we would keep net-advertising
to a minimum. Please note that I am not advocating ``mailbombs'' or
``blacklists'', just responsible responses from us consumers.

I am not rabidly against advertising on the Internet, but I prefer
to choose what I receive rather than to have rubbish stuffed down my
throat.

Regards,

--
Soh Kam Hung, Network Management Research, | email: h -dot- soh -at- trl -dot- oz -dot- au
Telecom Australia Research Laboratories, | phone: +61 3 25-36467