Re: translation software

Subject: Re: translation software
From: Tony Roder <tony -at- WELL -dot- SF -dot- CA -dot- US>
Date: Fri, 6 May 1994 15:32:09 GMT

In article <9405051656 -dot- AA28499 -at- monk -dot- proteon -dot- com>,
<Jane_Torpie_at_III-HQ -at- proteon -dot- com> wrote:

>Does anyone out there know of a software package that can translate text
>from German to English?

>We need this for internal use ... we have a technical document written in
>German and we need to read it in English. We are not going to publish this
>document, so we'd prefer to do a "quickie" translation.

There is relatively little translation software available that does not
require a significant investment of time -- preparation of glossaries,
editing of translated text, learning curve -- and money (generally in the
$500 to $1000 range). The only one that *might* work for your purposes
is the Translation Assistant (it comes in many languages) at
approximately $50 in the stores. It is slow, and if the document is more
specialized than simple correspondence, it may simply not know the
necessary words.

After all is said and done, you would probably be better off contacting a
translator or translation agency in your yellow pages, or a local
translator association.

Hope this helps....
--
Tony Roder, speaking his mind....