Re: ROBOHELP and Meet Me in Minneapolis

Subject: Re: ROBOHELP and Meet Me in Minneapolis
From: Carl Stieren <stieren -at- DEV -dot- SIMWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 May 1994 11:07:00 -0400

Who's going to the STC Conference in Minneapolis who has used ROBOHELP for
making Windows Help? If that's you, bring copies of your list of tips to
the TECHWR-L meeting on Sunday at 8:00 p.m. I would post ours here now, but
we're just developing it and it's in my head (and Jane's and Art's) right
now. I'll try to get it on paper by then.

We have been starting with documents in Word for Windows 6.0a documents
which were brought over from the original hard copy text from Word for
Macintosh 4.0, and we are rewriting them as online help once we import them
into ROBOHELP.

Our list of Tips and Traps for ROBOHELP Version 2.6 will include:

- Fixing bullets that converted to Japanese yen signs;

- Fixing apostrophes thatconvered to Os with enja (enya?) signs over
them;

- Using existing Word files by inserting files (NOT by importing
documentation);

- Fixing paragraphs that don't wrap within the help window;
- Editing topics and changing popups (BEWARE!);

- The ROBOHELP mind set;

- Keyword and topic choices (beware of ROBOHELP defaults);

- What to do about duplicate topic names that won't go away.

Aufwiedersehen in Minneapolis!

Carl Stieren.................Technical Writer.................Simware, Inc
|"The earth to be spann'd, connected by net-work... |
| The oceans to be cross'd, the distant brought near, |
| The lands to be welded together." (W. Whitman, d. 1892) |
stieren -at- dev -dot- simware -dot- com -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- Ottawa, CANADA
I write documents for, but do not speak on behalf of Simware.