Re: <Q> Degree in Computers, MM & Edu

Subject: Re: <Q> Degree in Computers, MM & Edu
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 1994 09:07:46 CDT

|}
|} > On Sun, 17 Apr 1994, Aldo J Caputo wrote:
|} >
|} > > I'm looking for colleges or universities which offer
|} > > degree programs in computers, and multimedia design and development, and
|} > > their uses in education and training.
|} > >
|} > > I'd like to keep fairly close to this region of N. America
|} (Michigan/Ontario).
|} > > Distance Ed options would also be a bonus.

Jim Walsh suggested that he try Bowling Green and Michigan Tech., to which
Stephen A. Bernhardt replied:

|} But I wonder if this is good advice below. I think instructional
|} technology programs are more on the mark than those at MTU or BGSU, which
|} are essentially tech comm programs. It seems Caputo has interests defined
|} which don't exactly fit tech comm programs .That's why I didn't recommend
|} our own programs at NMSU.

I don't know whether MTU or BGSU have classes in the media that he's
looking for or not, but either way, it can't hurt for him to contact
the college to find out. Many colleges these days will "special order"
a degree program for you if they don't have what you are looking for.

For example, when I graduated Eastern Washington University with a BA
in Technical Communication, the head of the Tech Comm department told
me that due to the small size of her program, I couldn't get a Master's
degree in technical communication from Eastern because of a limit on
the number of credits in my major program that I could take from a single
professor. The head of the CS department, however, said that should I
want to come back for a Master's, that he and the head of the English
department would design a graduate program that would give me an MS
in Technical Communication and Computer Science.

So it positively can't hurt to contact the school to find out what they
can do.

/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ "These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper,
but _minds_ alive on the shelves." -- Gilbert Highet