Copyright, the net, and you...

Subject: Copyright, the net, and you...
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 09:06:52 CDT

|} Gordon Meyer <grmeyer -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM> writes:
|}
|} > The bottom line is: If you think you've written the next "<insert
|} > name of best-selling novel here>" then don't post it on the net. If
|} > you write something and *choose to set it free on the net* then rack
|} > up the good Karma and get on with your life.
|}

Pat Berry <pat -at- berry -dot- cary -dot- nc -dot- us> replies:

|} What is this "set it free" nonsense? Posting something on the Net does
|} not in any way indicate that the author has relinquished any rights to
|} the work. Unless the author explicitly gives you permission to copy or
|} distribute the work, you have no right to do so.
|}

Technically true, but in reality, the entire net is one huge, roving,
copyright violation. All you have to do to prove this to yourself is
write a REALLY GOOD piece of original humor and post it. I guarentee
that one week from the time you post it, you'll see it on the office
bulletin board in a different department and your name won't even be
associated with it. You may even see it posted by someone else claiming
that they originated it. I'm not saying that this is right, and neither
was Gordon. The point is not whether it is right, or legal, or anything
else. The point is, it WILL happen. Since you know it will happen,
since there isn't really anything that you can do do to prevent it,
you can either let it bother you, or not. Your choice.

Peace.
/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ "These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper,
but _minds_ alive on the shelves." -- Gilbert Highet