Re: SGML summary

Subject: Re: SGML summary
From: Arthur Comings <atc -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 10:55:31 PDT

Liora Alschuler <LIORA -at- DELPHI -dot- COM> in her valuable SGML
summary, wrote in response to some comments of mine:

unless your task is
page composition, you are probably not
looking at a full page as you write.

If what you need is an EXACT
replica of what will print, then you are
probably not stringing words together,
but doing page composition.

In fact, I am looking at a full page on my Sun SPARCstation as I
write. And, believe it or not, I am stringing words together at the
same time. I'm also constantly re-evaluating page composition.

I certainly don't expect to see an exact replica of what will print,
but I need all that I CAN see to do my job as a tech writer, page
designer, and keeper of the style tags for our site.

Do I change the tags very often? No, but page design is a constant
consideration; it's just one of the ways that I use to structure my
information so that the user can access it easily. I wouldn't consider
denying a full-page view to anyone, regardless of their page-design
responsibilities.

Thanks, Liora, for compiling this info and helping to educate us about
SGML, but direct contact with me might be more productive than guesses
about what equipment I use and what I do with it.

Arthur Comings

GeoQuest
Corte Madera