Re: Interviewing for info. gathering

Subject: Re: Interviewing for info. gathering
From: "Nancy S. Burns" <nburns -at- NOAO -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 1994 08:21:56 -0825

>I am researching the information interview as used by
>technical writers. This is a basic tool that we all
>use, but I was wondering if any of you have a particular
>process that you use when interviewing SMEs.

>Also, if you have run across any good articles on the
>subject, please point them out.

LaVonna,

I recommend the book, "Interviewing Practices for Technical Writers", by
Earl E. McDowell, Baywood Publishing Company, Inc., Amityville, NY, 1991.
The publisher's toll-free number is 800-638-7819.

These main topcs are listed in the table of contents:

The Interviewing Process
Fundamentals of Interviewing
Informational Interviews (information gathering and information giving)
Employment Cycle Interviews
Internal and External Interviews (problem solving and peruasive)

It also reviews five articles on interviewing.

Nancy S. Burns
National Solar Observatory
Tucson, Arizona
e-mail: nburns -at- noao -dot- edu

"Vision is the art of seeing things invisible."
- Jonathan Swift