Re: Reference/Style manual

Subject: Re: Reference/Style manual
From: Doug Osborn <doug -at- CITR -dot- UQ -dot- OZ -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 1994 08:27:23 EST

Janet writes:

>I would like the Net's opinions on the Do-All-And-End-All style guide and/or
>reference manual for writers.

I use the AGPS (Oz Govt Publishing Service) Style Manual (4th edition). It's
great - very comprehensive and although we don't always follow what it
states, at least it does state something. From there, you can either adopt
or adapt. It think that i where its value lies (also great for those curly
questions).

Since i have a psych background (ie my studies, not the state of my own
mental health), i also have the APA (American Psychological Association)
Publication Manual. If i show someone an answer from the AGPS manual and
they don't like it, i show them the APA manual which is much scarier. It
always has the desired effect :-) .

Cheers,
Doug

Doug Osborn | Centre for Information Technology Research
Technical writer | Level 6, Gehrmann Laboratories
InterNet: doug -at- citrus -dot- uq -dot- oz -dot- au | The University of Qld, St Lucia
Phone : +61 7 365 4475 | Qld, Australia 4072. Fax: +61 7 365 4399