homophones

Subject: homophones
From: Alun Whittaker <alun -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 13:10:17 PST

Sorry, but I remember the first time I heard "another think," and know that
"another thing" predates it.

Heli Roosild
Network Imaging, Herndon VA
helir -at- msmailhq -dot- netimage -dot- com

I first heard "you have another think coming" almost fifty years ago
in northern England where a "think" was, indeed, a common noun.

When presented with a problem, one was commonly instructed to "have a
think about it". If, having completed your think, you announced a false
conclusion then you obviously had "another think coming".

I'd be interested to see your explanation for the sense (as opposed to
the syntax) of "another thing coming".

ALUN W...