Nice day? No thanks, I just had one...

Subject: Nice day? No thanks, I just had one...
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- CRABAPPLE -dot- BITNET>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 1994 10:44:35 IST

One Americanism that is reviled by all: `Have a nice day'. I find this funny
because every culture I've lived in (ok, only 3 ) has something similar.

** Hebrew had nothing similar, till some Americaphiles over here
recently started saying "Have a nice day" in translation.
The translation is crippled by lack of an imperative for "have"
in Hebrew, but there are yuppies all over the world, I guess,
who will endure any awkwardness if it makes them feel American...
Mark L. Levinson, SEE Technologies, Box 544, Herzlia, Israel
mark -at- dcl-see -dot- co -dot- il | voice +972-9-584684, ext. 230 | fax +972-9-543917