A clarification: Canada, French and English

Subject: A clarification: Canada, French and English
From: Randy Allen Harris <raha -at- WATARTS -dot- UWATERLOO -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 12:22:53 -0500

Just a clarification of a previous post (by Gregory Kushmerek) about
Qu=E9bec's "Sign Law", in which he said:

>and it has only made things worse. The Quebec government now must
>go around and remove signs in English in the province. There are
>"grass-roots" organizations making the govt. go into communities
>where people coexist peacefully and force them to change the
>signs around, stirring up debate.
=20
It was a deplorable law, outlawing all signs not completely in French,=
but
because of the way it was invoked (by way of something called "the
notwithstanding clause" in our constitution) it came with an expiration
date. It has now expired and been replaced by the more reasonable
requirement that all signs include French as their primary language.=
=20

-------=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D * =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D-=
Randy Allen Harris
raha -at- watarts -dot- uwaterloo -dot- ca =
=20

Rhetoric and Professional Writing, Department of English, University=
of
Waterloo, Waterloo ON N2L 3G1, CANADA; 519 885-1211, x5362; FAX:=
519 884-8995