Windows Help questions

Subject: Windows Help questions
From: "Frank Ripp, Ext 1313" <FRANKR -at- MDLI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 1994 13:17:16 -0800

I'm using the Microsoft help compiler (version 3.1) and Microsoft Word
2.0 to create Windows help systems. I have some questions that I hope some
kind soul out there can answer for me.

1) Does anyone out there know of any limits to the:

* Size of a single compiled help file

* Number of keywords I can use in a single help file (ie: number
of entries in the Search dialog)

* Number of hyperlinks in a single help file

In other words, how large and complex can a single .HLP file be?

Are there any absolute limits?

What's the largest Windows help file that you know of?

2) I need to incorporate some lengthy and complex background material
into my help system. This material that really doesn't work well as
online help, but I HAVE to include it. I don't have the time to
break it up into smaller chunks and link them together. This is
stuff that really belongs on the printed page.

My idea is to treat this material as "online paper" and then tell the
user to PRINT out the information.

Has anyone out there used this method? Is it OK to have a "mixed"
online help system containing true online information AND information
designed to be printed out? What do you think?

Any help (no pun intended!) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Frank Ripp