Env. Impact Reports/Statements

Subject: Env. Impact Reports/Statements
From: lpraderio -at- CLIFF -dot- WHOI -dot- EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1993 11:07:16 EST

Hi Willem,

In the United States, private environmental organizations, state and federal
regulatory commissions and departments (such as a state's department of
environmental affairs), and probably any other group dealing with environmental
impact (trash dumps, watersheds, wildlife societies) are familiar with EIRs
(Environmental Impact Reports). I assume you mean EIR and not EIS
(...statements).

For example, if a trash company wants to put a trash dump in a town, they have
to submit an EIR to the local state water control agency and department of
environmental affairs/management, the town where the dump is to be located,
everyone's lawyer, the EPA, and any other regulatory board.

To find out information on EIRs, I would suggest contacting the EPA in
Washington, D.C. or a state (such as Massachusetts) group, usually called
something like the Department for Environmental Affairs. Perhaps they could
give you some guidelines and sample copies and references to read. I would be
surprised if they didn't have sample copies to give to small companies as
samples of what's required.

Also, you may want to check out the U.S. Library of Congress's gopher server.
It should have a section on forms and regulatory stuff, or at least an
address/phone number for you to call.

Cheers,

Laura PRaderio
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Woods Hole, MA, USA
lpraderio -at- whoi -dot- edu

Do they send you copies for a low price?
Which agency for instance?
2) to collect (the most recent) research on EIS's. Can you give
me some titles of interesting papers/articles/books?

Willem Bulter
Universtiteit Twente
Department of Applied Linguistics
Postbus 217
7500 AE Enschede
The Netherlands

E-mail-address: W -dot- Bulter -at- WMW -dot- UTWENTE -dot- NL