Subject: Indexes
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1993 09:13:10 CST

Don M Chaffee writes:
|}
|} So I should pay more for software that produces bad indexes faster?
|} Software still can't compile an index worth printing. Only people can.
|}

Right you are, Don. However, the index that Interleaf provides is dependant
on embedded index tags. That is, this is no KWIC or KWOC type index. The tag
contains the primary, secondary, and tertiary headers as designed by the
indexer, and the tool provides me with a formatted list of the tags and the
page number (or range of pages) that they appear on. My original post merely
reflected that once I have invested all this time in embedding the tags, I
can do a simple index on a single book, of a master index on a multi-volume
set with equal ease.

Now I am not really interested in a protracted discussion of the pros and
cons of author provided vs. professional indexer provided indexes, since
it is not an option for me to hire an indexer, even if I thought it was
the right thing to do. (but maybe others on the list are?)

The tool allows me to create an index as I am creating the manuscript, and
(this is the biggy) regenerate the index immediately should I change the
pagination for any reason. Now this index is only as good as I am at indexing,
and after taking Mr. Larry Bonura's short course, I must say I am only fair
by comparison (I'm not worthy!) But this tool makes a passable index
financially feasable in this change it today, get it out the door tomorrow
world.

* _ ___ * sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
* _ /\ |\ _ * "There's too many flames, and so much to burn,
* / / \ _| \ \ * and life's only made of paper."
* ( * ) \/_|__* ) * --Ronald Padivona
* \_/ _/ \_/ * <Boilerplate disclaimer here>