Re: Getting that degree

Subject: Re: Getting that degree
From: Vicki Rosenzweig <murphy!acmcr!vr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1993 11:40:23 EST

Actually, I went to a fairly good college, where you could
cheerfully take some other class, though often only one
person was teaching a given class (with the exception of
things like intro calculus sections, which were handed to
every grad student they could find). But you have to put up
with a certain amount of irrelevance, and study of things
that don't interest you unless you have a _wide_ range of
interests. (The swimming example is not from my alma mater,
but I will note that when I was looking at colleges, back
in 1980, at least one Ivy League school, Princeton, was
requiring "physical education" right up there with math as
necessary to graduate.)

Yes, some of it is hoop-setting, but I've also heard complaints
of "nobody is applying" or "nobody qualified is applying"
(granted, few in the current recession) from people who were
using these rules to eliminate people.

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com
New York, NY