Page numbering

Subject: Page numbering
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- MATIS -dot- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1993 11:04:12 IST

Steve Hollander writes:

For compound page numbering, I generally try to convince my employers to use
a decimal system (3.17, 4.2, &c) rather than a hyphenated system...
[end quote]

** How often do you succeed? Personally, I've never seen this method.
Do you ever try to use it together with numbered sections and subsections?
(And if so, how do you number those?)

On the more general issue...
Simple sequential page numbers seem friendlier in that they resemble
the numbering of books that we read for pleasure (if anyone does that
any more), but two-part page numbers seem friendlier in that they
conceal the book's true length from the reader. (Nobody picks up the
book, turns to the back, and says "Good grief, this manual is 478 pages
long!")