Re: Usability -- page numbering

Subject: Re: Usability -- page numbering
From: Paul Goble <paulg -at- COL -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1993 23:09:40 GMT

Kelly Hoffman (kelly -at- nashua -dot- hp -dot- com) wrote:

: Do your readers actually update their copies with these frequent updates
: and revisions? Really?

Back when we used offset printing, we sent out update kits. I haven't
heard of a single customer who actually inserted the updates in their
manuals.

I've found that serial page numbering (1,2,3,...) somehow encourages me
to use actual page numbers for cross-references. The same mindset that
tells me "avoid renumbering all those pages" also tells me "keep your
cross-references vague."

IMHO, the page numbering method is unimportant for readers. What IS
important is that every page is clearly labelled with the chapter
number, chapter name, and section name.

So much depends on your tools, not on what's best for the customer. If
your publishing tools will not quickly renumber, re-cross-reference, or
re-index a manual, OR if you use "traditional" printing methods,
inserting a serially-numbered page is a problem. With good tools and
high-speed laser printing, it's easy.

Paul Goble
Hewlett-Packard Colorado Springs Division
Learning Products Engineering
paulg -at- col -dot- hp -dot- com