Re: Eastern Standard Time

Subject: Re: Eastern Standard Time
From: Nancy Burns <nburns -at- NOAO -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1993 16:24:54 MST

>If you saw hours of operation for a computer center in "Eastern Standard Time"
>in something you were writing or editing, would the question bother you
>whether the hours of operation during summer months shifted forward for Eastern
>Daylight Time or whether they stayed on Eastern Standard Time?

>Would you want to change the phrase to "Eastern Time"? If you see a problem,
>would you want to solve it some other way? Or do you see no problem with
>saying "Eastern Standard Time"? (The American Heritage Dictionary
>doesn't explicitly distinguish EST from EDT, and from its definition I wonder
>whether EST can include EDT or whether the lexicographers overlooked the
>distinction.)

>Thanks!
>Chet Cady
>cady -at- oclc -dot- org

I don't see a problem with simply stating the time zone name (Eastern,
Mid-West, Mountain, Pacific) plus the word "time". For example, Eastern
time. I checked my Word and MathType manuals, and the customer support
call-in times are listed as "Pacific time".

Companies located in Arizona have more difficult situation, since the state
does not observe daylight savings time but I believe that the Native
American reservations do observe it.

Nancy Burns
National Solar Observatory, Tucson, AZ
nburns -at- noao -dot- edu