technical vs. writing experience

Subject: technical vs. writing experience
From: Anatole Wilson <awilson -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1993 08:56:33 PST

I think the emphasis on technical vs. writing skills would depend on the
specific assignment.

for example, if I had a manual that needed to go out fast, I would probably
look for someone who already had the techncial expertise, because there
would be no time for training that wrtier in the technology.

On the other hand, if I had more time, I'd prefer a strong writer who can show
an aptitude for learning the technology. I'd want the writer to be
an expert in analyzing an audience and organizing information effectively.

After all, if the information is presented clearly, a technical expert can
review the documentation and catch any technical errors. A manual written by an
engineer rarely has any backup for spelling/grammatical errors (in my
experience). Even if there is an editor, rewriting entire sections of text
for clarity always takes longer than correcting technical errors (again, in
my experience).

Anatole Wilson If anyone objects to any
Sr. Assoc. Information Developer statement I make, I am
IBM, Santa Teresa Labs quite prepared not only
awilson -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com to retract it, but to
deny under oath that I
all company disclaimers apply ever made it.