ISO 9000

Subject: ISO 9000
From: David Tietyen <tietyen -at- PICARD -dot- MSOE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1993 09:32:19 EST

I have just agreed to help a company with their ISO 9002 documentation.
While I have done research on ISO 9000 and discuss it in my classes,
this is my first experience with actually writing it. My biggest
question is how detailed must this be? I have seen and heard
conflicting statements. My greatest concern involves the second tier of
operating procedures and the third tier of work instructions. How
detailed must these be? For example, if a work instruction involves
completing and forward a routing slip, do you need to cover what
information goes into it and where you get it?
If anyone has been involved in this process, I would appreciate any
comments or suggestions you may have.

David Tieyen
Milwaukee School of Engineering
Tietyen -at- picard -dot- msoe -dot- edu