Re: Indexing Online Books: Cost Effective?

Subject: Re: Indexing Online Books: Cost Effective?
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1993 08:38:06 EST

Mark Hagen writes:

> Set the text free and let it fly. Getting lost (in hyperspace) would
> suggest to me that the reader failed to make the conscious (and
> conscientious) choices necessary to get them where they wanted to be.

> Release yourselves from the old paradigms of restricting structures. Lose
> yourselves in a network of information and let hypertext work as it works
> best -- without restrictions.

> And, when it's all over, smile -- and have a nice day!

Mark -- That's not a very convincing argument for *not* indexing online
books. However, I'm going to leave it right there. Although I have
enjoyed our friendly little debate and would like to continue it, I am
going to "release myself from the old paradigms of restricting
structures" for a few days. I'm going to Seattle to present a workshop
on (what else?) Indexing Skills at the STC Regional Conference; my
husband is coming with me ... we're taking Amtrak (with an economy
bedroom) all the way, and it should be a beautiful trip this time of
year. And I'm going to smile, and every day will be a nice day as I
kick back and watch the scenery go by. Hope you have a nice day, too ....

Lori Lathrop
Lathrop Media Services
Georgetown, CO
INTERNET:76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com