Re: Times Roman 'N' Helvetica

Subject: Re: Times Roman 'N' Helvetica
From: Fred Wersan <wersan -at- ZEUS -dot- MA30 -dot- BULL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1993 12:44:37 EST

I think lots of writers have leapt into the brave new world of DTP and multi-
font capability with little background in typography. For example, most of us
(and Windows program menu options further this) say font when we mean typeface.
A minor quibble, but indicative of our disconnection from the source of this
terminology.

Last year I read a book about using typefaces, I think it was "Design with Type"
which included a copy of a poster with the title "Freedom from Helvetica!"

Since then I have paid more attention to the fonts I use, when I have the
discretion to do so. I too, like Palatino and Avant Garde. Avant Garde has a
rounder, bolder feel to it than Helvetica.

Fred Wersan
Bull HN Informations Systems
MA30/872A
300 Concord Rd.