typefaces

Subject: typefaces
From: Anatole Wilson <awilson -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1993 08:11:42 PST

I've been told in design classes that in the U.S. at least, serif fonts
are considered more truthful and official because most newspapers use
Times Roman for their text. As to which came first, the inherent
"truthfulness" of serif fonts or the newspaper's use of serif fonts was
never answered.

Another consideration (and reason) for carefully selecting the typefaces
used in documentation: corporate image.

Using the same (or at least complementary) typefaces in the documentation
that are used in the logo, stationery, and advertising subtly reinforces
the corporate image in the minds of the readers. Most companies pay
attention to the typefaces in advertising, but forget that the manual is also
part of the packaging.

Anatole Wilson If anyone objects to any
Sr. Assoc. Information Developer statement I make, I am
IBM, Santa Teresa Labs quite prepared not only
awilson -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com to retract it, but to
deny under oath that I
all company disclaimers apply ever made it.