Re: Educational -v- Informative Writing

Subject: Re: Educational -v- Informative Writing
From: Brian Daley <briand -at- MEI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1993 12:46:55 -0600

>From: John Fulmer INET <fulmerjo -at- PULUA -dot- HCC -dot- HAWAII -dot- EDU>
>How better can I describe it to say that the only thing the glossy
>is good for is to obtain a telephone number to call to try and get
>the number of someone who can tell me the technical specifications
>I need to know if the equipment will work with my system or not!

>As a recent convert to FrameMaker on SUN, I found the statement
>above to be an apt description of the *user* documentation that
>came with this software.

>Is this why there are so many questions here about what FrameMaker
>can and cannot do?

I think one reason there's so many questions about what Frame can and
cannot do is that never before could you get so much power at such a low
price. I never expected to get hypertext capability or automatically
numbered series in the PageMaker 4.x I was using before (or running
header/footers, or Mac-IBM-Unix cross-platform compatibility). But Frame
does so much stuff for only a little more money that we start asking why it
can't do what Interleaf does.

Maybe the Sun manuals stink, but the ones for the Mac version are some of
the most complete manuals I've seen.

-BD

Brian Daley | Marquette Electronics, Inc.
briand -at- mei -dot- com | Diagnostic Division - Technical Communication
(414) 362-3133 | 8200 West Tower Avenue
FAX: (414) 357-5988 | Milwaukee, WI 53223 USA