Saul C's cautions on videotaped meetings

Subject: Saul C's cautions on videotaped meetings
From: Ken d'Albenas <kendal -at- AUTOTROL -dot- CUC -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1993 00:29:25 MDT

Thanks for the itemized list of caveats. Saul.
All good points. I think of the videotaped meetings
idea as the thin end of the wedge, though. No harm
in trying. making mistakes, and improving. All
advice gratefully received.

While one can't divorce form from content (or medium
from message), I remember a tape of Alan Kay's
speech at the STC Annual Conference: a textbook example
of a bad "talking head" production that still got
across a top-notch message. In his address, Mr. Kay
made extensive use of video clips and overhead
projections, _none_ of which showed up on the tape!
(No one seemed to be manning the camcorder, so all
we got was Alan Kay's profile looking at something
somewhere off to the side.) In spite of that, his
message was so good, and his speaking style so
colourful, that overall it was well worth watching.

Not everyone is that good a speaker, of course.
Some are at the other end of the spectrum. Even
if you catch their act live instead of memorex,
it's Snore City. These are the things that populate
the chapter programming manager's nightmares.

Cheers,

Ken d'Albenas
(-::
Replies to: kendal -at- autotrol -dot- cuc -dot- ab -dot- ca
Flames to: kendal@/dev/not

Go Jays Go!