Re: Grammar and Style Checkers

Subject: Re: Grammar and Style Checkers
From: Robert Whitehead <rcwhiteh -at- MEDRCW -dot- B17B -dot- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1993 08:08:10 CDT

Charles Woodson <woodson -at- DEWEY -dot- SOE -dot- BERKELEY -dot- EDU> was gracious enough
to reply to my initial posting on GSCs:

I asked:

> >Does anyone use a grammar/style checker as part of their normal
> >documentation development workflow?

And Charles replied:

> I use the spell checker and grammar checker in MSWORD. I find
> them both very helpful. When I write the first draft I pay no
> attention to spelling or grammar, and type away at 150 wpm. In the
> revision process, it helps to have any criticism you can get and
> these programs, although far from complete, help.

> I also use Grammatik and Writer's Workbench (UNIX) too. They give
> somewhat different results but are also useful.

I've heard (albeit briefly) about the Writer's Workbench utility,
but I still don't know much about it.

My department is largely UNIX-based, although we are moving to PCs.
We are investigating GSCs for the PC, but we would like to know more
about UNIX-based writer's tools.

Charles, if you'd care to comment further about the Writer's
Workbench utility, I'm sure that others besides me would be
interested. I'd appreciate private email as well as a message
included in the normal TECHWR-L messaging; I'd like to forward this
to my management.

Thanks for the information!
--
| Robert C. Whitehead, Senior Technical Writer |