Re: Grammar and Style Checkers

Subject: Re: Grammar and Style Checkers
From: Thomas Krueger <tjk -at- CSD4 -dot- CSD -dot- UWM -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1993 14:04:48 GMT

rcwhiteh -at- medrcw -dot- b17b -dot- ingr -dot- com wrote:

: I've heard (albeit briefly) about the Writer's Workbench utility,
: but I still don't know much about it.

: My department is largely UNIX-based, although we are moving to PCs.
: We are investigating GSCs for the PC, but we would like to know more
: about UNIX-based writer's tools.

I'm not Charles, but I've used it before. Like any other tool, it can be
incredibly useful for consistency, but it also hits on a lot of things that
just don't make sense... it's not a person.

As a convenient way to check on a document with different programs, it's
useful. It checks the spelling, the grammar, word choice, and does
readability tests. Note that some of these things are present in UNIX
already, but WWB provides a convenient interface.

- Tom

--

Thomas Krueger UW-Milwaukee Engineering Electronics Shop
tjk -at- csd4 -dot- csd -dot- uwm -dot- edu +1 (414) 229-5172