Re: Dress Code

Subject: Re: Dress Code
From: September Radecki <sradecki -at- THETIS -dot- SHERPA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1993 09:29:24 PDT

> Excuse me,

> Is the point here that people aren't listening to someone because of what they
> wear? or because of what they do (tech communicator)?

Believe it or not, this is reality. I worked for three years as a vendor at the
San Jose IBM site. I worked with engineers on a daily basis, documenting various
products. If I showed up to work dressed in a suit, they reacted as if I were
a manager or something. I could *not* get information. Basically, we came to the
conclusion that they were intimidated when we dressed more nicely than they did.

I am now working at a smallish (getting bigger by the day) software development
company (also in San Jose) where no one really cares what you wear. AND, believe
it or not, I have come across the SAME behavior! If I dress up, the developer
I am attempting to snag information from will usually comment that "you look
nice
today -- what's going on?" and manage to not provide the information I need.

Maybe this is a California thing?! I don't know. I do know that if I have to
dress more casually to get the respect of the engineers I work with, then I
guess that's what I will do! After all, the goal is to create quality
documentation,
not win a fashion show, right?

From the land of sunshine and Birkenstocks. . .

September Radecki