Re: Dress Code

Subject: Re: Dress Code
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1993 11:45:40 -0500

> This is going to sound wierd, but I wear a suit and tie because I *want* to.
> We have no dress code and can personalize our offices as much as we want...
> but (IMHO) ... it's a matter of "image" and whatever you feel 'comfortable'
> with.

Everything works in cycles, I suppose. I was *required* to wear a jacket
and a tie for about 12 years. This includes work in government,
consulting and at a corporate headquarters where I would definitely have
felt *uncomfortable* wearing anything else, since *everybody* else was
attired in the "uniform". Nonetheless, I desperately wanted to break
out.

Happily, where I am now, there is no dress code, except no nudity is
allowed 8-). People still dress "smartly" - especially in marketing and
where there is contact with customers, but most all of the rest of us
just wear whatever we feel like. To me, this is a financial benefit too,
and not something minor at all. For all of the ones who like the
uniform, more power to you! When it gets into the 90's around here, I
prefer shorts, t-shirts and my Birks. Can't say my writing suffers from
the additional comfort.

[...]

> Anyway, what does is matter what you wear so long as you enjoy your work? If
> something 'minor' can cause so much discussion shouldn't you be asking
> yourself what *else* is wrong?

This is an excellent point. However, a company's attempt to control your
appearance is not necessarily a minor issue, depending on how they
handle it, and why they care. A capricious or spurious rule, vigorously
enforced, can cause all kinds of morale problems, and can also call into
question the motivations and depth of a company's management (not to
mention how they view their employees). What is important in any job is
whether or not you enjoy doing it, for *whatever* the reason.

> Simon JJ North BA EngTech FISTC Consultant, Communication of

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer |"Never give anything a name that you|
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA|might have to eat." -Klingon Proverb|
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|