Dealing with the volume of mail. Suggestions from Listowner

Subject: Dealing with the volume of mail. Suggestions from Listowner
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1993 13:31:44 CST

Bill, and everyone else with this problem:

There are a couple of possible solutions.

Option 1:
First, try using digests. The digests collect all of the traffic from a
given day and then send it all out in one file. To use this,
send a message to:
LISTSERV -at- VM1 -dot- UCC -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
On the first line of the message, type:
SET TECHWR-L DIGEST

To reverse this command, send (to the same address)
SET TECHWR-L MAIL

Option 2:
You can access the archives by telling listserv (mail to address in Option 1)
GET FILELIST TECHWR-L

Then you get the files by sending to listserv:
GET whatever the listserv says the files are. Probably something like:
GET LOG9303 TECHWR-L
This command would get the archive for March, 1993.

Option 3 (probably a better choice than Option 1 or 2)
Use network news if it is available on your system. Ask your system
administrator for more information. The name of the news group is:
BIT.LISTSERV.TECHWR-L

PLEASE NOTE:
All of the above commands go to LISTSERV -at- VM1 -dot- UCC -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot-
DO NOT SEND THEM TO TECHWR-L.
Direct all questions about options 1 and 2 to me, Eric,
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu -dot- I cannot help with questions about
your network news package--talk with your system administrator.

Good luck,
Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu

There is far too much traffic on this listserv for me to keep up with (I don't
have the luxury of checking email every day unfortunately). Rather than
unsubbing, however, is there a way to stop mail delivery from the listserver,
but still have access to archived messages that I can read at my leisure (via a
listserv index get command or some such)?....

Bill Downing, President Email: bdowning -at- schunix -dot- uucp
DOWNING ASSOCIATES, INC. bdowning -at- control -dot- com
8 Doyle Lane
Hopkinton, MA 01748 Voice: 508-435-4567