Re: minimal manuals

Subject: Re: minimal manuals
From: ELWIN MCKELLAR <mckellar -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1993 10:09:44 EDT

Karin,

I would like to add one more reference to the growing list of information
about creating minimal manuals.

Brockmann, R. John
_Writing_Better_Computer_User_Documentation_:_From_Paper_to_Hypertext_,
Version 2.0 / R. John Brockmann, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York p.384 cm

ISBN 0-471-62259-1
ISBN 0-471-62260-5 (pbk.)

Dr. Brockmann gives step-by-step instructions and discusses application of
the principles of minimalism (Carroll). He also provides and extensive
bibliography in the back of the book.

I found application of minimalist principles to review of our
documentation a very useful tool. Total conversion to a minimalist manual
is difficult. I like the basic principle that documentation should *get out
of the way* of getting the job done, but found the total minimalist
manual a bit ascetic.

Have fun.

Mick.
--
______
| |
Michigan Technological University - Houghton, Michigan 49931-1295
/ \
Mick McKellar - Information Systems Spec. - Computing Technology Services

e-mail address: mckellar -at- mtu -dot- edu phone: (906) 487-2112, 2110