Software/Hardware for Collaborative Classroom

Subject: Software/Hardware for Collaborative Classroom
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1993 14:07:37 CST

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any experience with computerized
collaborative learning labs or teaching environments?
We are in the middle of developing a multimedia-capable
collaborative learning classroom for the English
Department--particularly the Technical Writing program.

Right now it looks like we will have about 25 486-50
machines, networked, with 8 MEG, CD-ROM, and 120 MEG
hard drives. These will have standard software (Word
for Windows, Pagemaker, Corel Draw, Excel, etc.) and
probably Daedalus for collaborative writing.

Additionally we will probably provide up to about four
high-powered PCs and Macs with Framemaker, Interleaf,
Freehand, and similiar software (generally one copy of
each).

Ideally, this environment will facilitate collaborative
writing and group work on one hand, and on the other
hand will allow technical writing students the
advantage of gaining familiarity with the tools they
will be expected to use in the "real world."

We are still in the initial planning stages, so
everything is negotiable. If you had around $200,000
for such a project, what would you do? Do you have any
mistakes you would not make the second time around?
Anything that the lab absolutely MUST/MUST NOT have?
How about the instructor's podium and projection/remote
control capabilities? Anything else?

Please respond to me directly, unless you think this
would be of general interest on the list.

Thanks,
Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu