Re: Aw: Re: AI-based writing assistants

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: AI-based writing assistants
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: Slager Timothy J <Timothy -dot- Slager -at- dematic -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 07:32:43 -0400

I find that it's fun to try to push ChatGPT's boundaries, but the thing is very vanilla, very predictable, and usually quite boring. A conversation with an eight-year-old child is more fun and more rewarding. The child will ask questions about my horses, good ones, sometimes even getting into topics where I feel uncomfortable giving a full answer.

For amusement, I just asked ChatGPT how much it would cost to buy a horse. I got an answer that was factually on target, but hardly as useful as the answer I always give when asked that question. Years ago, I would spell out all the costs of ownership. Now I simply reply with another question: "How much does it cost to get married?"

To its credit the bot did say, "Ongoing expenses such as boarding, feed, veterinary care, farrier services, and equipment can add significantly to the overall cost of horse ownership." It missed the opportunity to suggest that the costs almost invariably swamp the initial purchase price, or that the potential buyer may be a stars-in-the-eyes idiot.

There is a tendency of horse owners to base their estimates of their own horse's value on the amount that's been spent on training, feed, and emergency veterinary care. Sunk cost fallacy.

My favorite use for ChatGPT remains my attempts to get it to create worse poetry than McGonagall.

On 6/9/23 08:39, Slager Timothy J wrote:

Agreed!

I tried my best to get ChatGPT to ask a question without outright telling it to do so. It wouldn't do it. This seems like a fatal flaw.
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com