Re: Aw: Re: AI-based writing assistants

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: AI-based writing assistants
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 14:03:50 -0400

Doesn't matter how smart it is, or how well it's able to distinguish true statements from false. We as writers and explainers have to peer into the mind of the potential reader. "What's new and unexplained? What's going to be misunderstood? Who is the reader, and what will he be wanting to do?"

Ever read "end-user" docs written by a really sharp developer/coder? Here's a distant recollection of what a programmer once told us: "I gave you all that technical information. Why didn't you mention that the basic algorithm uses B-trees? That's a crucial part of it."

We (my buddy Tony, actually) replied, "You're right. We didn't. We also didn't mention that Trenton is the capital of New Jersey."

"What's that got to do with anything?"

"Precisely," Tony said.

PS: I've noticed that ChatGPT is pretty good at writing mediocre poetry, but is unable to meet the truly low standards of William Topaz McGonagall, even when asked.

Here are the first two stanzas of a lengthy creation from ChatGPT. Observe that the meter flows gently, missing entirely the stumbling mark of McGonagall himself.

Oh, gather round and hear this tale I weave,
A poem of grandeur, prepare to receive.
For here I present, with utmost delight,
A masterpiece so terrible, it shines so bright.

In Dundee, a city of wondrous sights,
Where the Tay River flows with all its might,
Lived a man named McGonagall, with a gift so rare,
To craft verses of beauty, beyond compare.

On 6/8/23 13:05, Robert Lauriston wrote:

Who knows what future products might be able to do? The question here is
about current ones.

Large language models will never be able to do what I spend most of my time
doing. Other kinds of AI might.

On Thu, Jun 8, 2023 at 7:13âAM Dan Goldstein<djgdeus -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

I'll defer to others regarding how the term "intelligence" is defined.
But I would be cautious in declaring any near-future limitations of AI's
technical writing abilities. It writes so much better than it did only a
few years ago; how much better will it write a few years from now?

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com