Re: Aw: Re: AI-based writing assistants

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: AI-based writing assistants
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 13:44:31 -0700

People writing and editing consumer product marketing materials, real estate listings or other content with minimal technical content should probably be worried now. AI-generated content is probably still not as good as what a talented, experienced author can produce, but in many cases it will be good enough (I'd be surprised if there aren't already novels available for download to your Kindle that are unadvertised AI-generated content).

As the front end for AI improves, expect to be able to enter a lot more parameters, such as intended audience expectation and frequently-repeated or closely-related situations and data (what we referred to as "qualification by similarity" back in my test engineering days).

It will probably be a while before we see an AI-generated operator and service manuals for aircraft engines and semiconductor chip fab tools. But I have to admit that I'm relieved to be mostly retired now. :)

Gene Kim-Eng

On 6/8/2023 11:03 AM, Peter Neilson wrote:

Doesn't matter how smart it is, or how well it's able to distinguish true statements from false. We as writers and explainers have to peer into the mind of the potential reader. "What's new and unexplained? What's going to be misunderstood? Who is the reader, and what will he be wanting to do?"

Ever read "end-user" docs written by a really sharp developer/coder? Here's a distant recollection of what a programmer once told us: "I gave you all that technical information. Why didn't you mention that the basic algorithm uses B-trees? That's a crucial part of it."

We (my buddy Tony, actually) replied, "You're right. We didn't. We also didn't mention that Trenton is the capital of New Jersey."

"What's that got to do with anything?"

"Precisely," Tony said.

PS: I've noticed that ChatGPT is pretty good at writing mediocre poetry, but is unable to meet the truly low standards of William Topaz McGonagall, even when asked.

Here are the first two stanzas of a lengthy creation from ChatGPT. Observe that the meter flows gently, missing entirely the stumbling mark of McGonagall himself.

Oh, gather round and hear this tale I weave,
A poem of grandeur, prepare to receive.
For here I present, with utmost delight,
A masterpiece so terrible, it shines so bright.

In Dundee, a city of wondrous sights,
Where the Tay River flows with all its might,
Lived a man named McGonagall, with a gift so rare,
To craft verses of beauty, beyond compare.

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com