Re: Knowledge Base stats for a "good" number of views?

Subject: Re: Knowledge Base stats for a "good" number of views?
From: Emoto <emoto1 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 15:36:05 -0400

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 1:26 PM Nina Rogers <janina -dot- rogers -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi, all!
>
> My company recently looked at the stats for our KB (which I manage), and
> they are not happy with them. Of the 326 articles in the KB, 91 articles
> are getting 80% of the views while 235 articles are getting 20% of the
> views.
>
> I realize there is always room for improvement in any KB, but I'm not as
> upset over these numbers as management is. We have certain features in our
> software that are rarely used, and a good portion of our articles are for
> special, uncommon use cases and legacy versions of the software--and are
> stored in a folders labeled as such. So I wouldn't expect certain articles
> to get a great number of views.
>
> I am wondering where I might find information on what would be considered
> "good" view rates for a typical KB. I'm preparing to do a large-scale
> content audit for our company, which will include the KB, and I'll be
> looking at (among other things) the views. I'd like to have something to
> compare it to--some sort of "normal" standard.
>
> Any ideas? I've Googled a bit but am not finding anything, and I'm hoping
> I'm just looking in the wrong places. Thanks!

My thought is that if Management is not happy with the numbers, they
should be able to articulate what "good" numbers are and *why* those
numbers are good.

I would flip it around and say something like "Our Product GUI is very
user-friendly and intuitive, such that users only need help with a
small number of items. The better our product design is, the less hits
our KB will get, because the user won't need help. Therefore, we
should really try to discover what it is about those areas of the
product that causes people to consult the KB. If we can improve those
product areas, we can improve the user experience by making it
unnecessary for them to research how to use those product areas in the
KB."

Of course, I'm kind of a nut, so don't listen to me. ;-)

Bob
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com