Re: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?

Subject: Re: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?
From: Syed Zaeem Hosain <Syed -dot- Hosain -at- aeris -dot- net>
To: Paul Hanson <twer_lists_all -at- hotmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 16:57:24 +0000

Paul, excellent points!

In addition, I sometimes see writers get too focused on is how [a section of] a document looks before they even write the content!

Yes, I understand that look and feel can influence the content a bit (depends on the document ... "fitting" text into a section of a brochure for example), but I also see people write a sentence or two, or paragraph, and then spend too much time "fixing" the font or format of their short text.

Far better to focus on the writing and add the formats (templates!) only as needed periodically. Of course, basic stuff like using a section title template is easy enough to do on the fly, etc.

A pet peeve of mine: people who use manual overrides for italics and bold using key strokes rather than character templates! If the paragraph template is applied later, all the manual overrides disappear.

Finally, as you note, using paragraph and character templates and automated work-flow processes (like the TOC!) is vital. Particularly when edits and changes occur - and especially when other people work on a given document - much later.

For example, if added/edited text breaks a manually entered TOC numbering, or section name, etc., this is a highly inefficient work-flow issue to fix each and every time!

I find it amazing that this person you mention added leader dots manually too! Yikes.