Re: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?

Subject: Re: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?
From: "Sweet, Gregory P (HEALTH)" <gregory -dot- sweet -at- health -dot- ny -dot- gov>
To: Emoto <emoto1 -at- gmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 15:14:21 +0000

Fences looks like an attempt to get something like the MacOS launcher on Windows10. Not surprising when one of the other products available from the manufacturer is desktop dock ala MacOS.
The tool doesnât appear to be intended as a file manager as much as an icon/desktop space manager. Itâs the same idea on a Mac, the launcher doesnât actually organize the files, it just organizes the icons used to start applications. This is a little nicer than the launcher in that it can organize any icon set, including files and folders.

I think you should dictate the structure of how the files are to be stored. Explain that this is so that reliable backups can be made of the work, and restored to other machines without needing the Fences software. Backups typically donât include the desktop and restore points do not include the desktop by default. If the machine ever needs to be restored, sheâll have the very real potential of losing everything sheâs added to the desktop since the restore point chosen.

That being said, there may be room for compromise -- Insist she store the files the way you want them, and she can still use fences to organize shortcuts to the files however she sees fit.

Thanks!

Greg

On 11/1/17, 7:08 AM, "techwr-l-bounces+gregory -dot- sweet=health -dot- ny -dot- gov -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com on behalf of Emoto" <techwr-l-bounces+gregory -dot- sweet=health -dot- ny -dot- gov -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com on behalf of emoto1 -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

ATTENTION: This email came from an external source. Do not open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails.

I almost can't believe I am writing this. We hired an internal
candidate into a tech writer position. I am trying to mentor/train
her. We'll be dealing with Word documents on Windows machines.

I want her to set up a folder structure to manage the files she'll be
handling. I suggest Windows Explorer as the "right tool" for doing so.
Instead, she wants to keep everything on her desktop and use a
software called "Fences" to manage everything.

I think this is a really bad idea. Am I wrong?

I try to be easygoing and offer "suggestions" rather than dictate
things, but am losing patience.

Thanks,

Bob