Re: FYI More states starting to ban the "What's Your Salary?" Question

Subject: Re: FYI More states starting to ban the "What's Your Salary?" Question
From: "Elisa R. Sawyer" <elisawyer -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 11:53:42 -0700

I definitely don't want the government to discourage gender pay equality,
something that the current administration seems hell-bent on doing.
Considering our current administration, I wasn't certain whether you meant
to type "inequality." :-)

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
wrote:

> What do you think?
>
> 1. Do you feel the government should intrude on employers to discourage
> gender pay equality?
>
> Yes, because if we wait for businesses to voluntarily raise wages, we'll be
> waiting forever.
>
> 2. Would you take a job for a lower than average amount of money to keep
> working even though it is undercutting the industry salaries for others?
>
> So far I've been lucky enough not to have to make that choice. On
> principle, I wouldn't take a lower paying job unless I was truly
> desperate. But then, I'm an idealist.
>

> 3. What do you do when asked at an interview for your last salary or for
> current salary requirements?
>
> I did a lot of reading around asking for raises and negotiating salaries
> when i was getting ready to leave my first TW job. And since the consensus
> seemed to be that "Who ever names a number first, loses" in salary
> discussions, I always counter "What are your salary requirements?" with
> "What is your range for the position?" Then I have a reasonable idea of
> what they were planning to spend to hire someone, and can adjust my number
> according to my interest in the position (or say. "You can't afford me" if
> they're looking for a senior writer at new hire rates).
>
> I'm actually quite excited that MA has made asking for a salary number
> illegal, because it's awkward to follow this strategy when so many job
> sites now want a number when you're filling out the initial application.
> That's way too early for me to be talking about salary numbers with an
> employer, with only a (often badly written) job description to go on.
>
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Lin Laurie <linlaurie1 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've seen some questions regarding this issue show up on the list in the
> > past so when I saw this news article I thought I'd share the link.
> >
> > http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/
> > laws-ban-whats-your-salary-question/ar-BBAqDF9?li=
> BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
> >
> > As a contractor, I have a different approach. I ask what the company is
> > looking to pay and can tell by the answer if they are in or out of the
> ball
> > park for me to bother with. For instance, if they want to pay $30 for a
> > senior technical writer, they are not likely coming up to the rate I
> want.
> >
> > I'd also think they lost touch with reality if that's what they think one
> > goes for as a contractor... On the other hand, after 2008, there were a
> lot
> > of starving tech writers who would take that rate to be working.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > 1. Do you feel the government should intrude on employers to
> discourage
> > gender pay equality?
> > 2. Would you take a job for a lower than average amount of money to
> [...]

Elisa Rood Sawyer
Technical and Creative Writer
"Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today." Mark Twain