Re: FYI More states starting to ban the "What's Your Salary?" Question

Subject: Re: FYI More states starting to ban the "What's Your Salary?" Question
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:21:59 -0400

What do you think?

1. Do you feel the government should intrude on employers to discourage
gender pay equality?

Yes, because if we wait for businesses to voluntarily raise wages, we'll be
waiting forever.

2. Would you take a job for a lower than average amount of money to keep
working even though it is undercutting the industry salaries for others?

So far I've been lucky enough not to have to make that choice. On
principle, I wouldn't take a lower paying job unless I was truly
desperate. But then, I'm an idealist.

3. What do you do when asked at an interview for your last salary or for
current salary requirements?

I did a lot of reading around asking for raises and negotiating salaries
when i was getting ready to leave my first TW job. And since the consensus
seemed to be that "Who ever names a number first, loses" in salary
discussions, I always counter "What are your salary requirements?" with
"What is your range for the position?" Then I have a reasonable idea of
what they were planning to spend to hire someone, and can adjust my number
according to my interest in the position (or say. "You can't afford me" if
they're looking for a senior writer at new hire rates).

I'm actually quite excited that MA has made asking for a salary number
illegal, because it's awkward to follow this strategy when so many job
sites now want a number when you're filling out the initial application.
That's way too early for me to be talking about salary numbers with an
employer, with only a (often badly written) job description to go on.

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Lin Laurie <linlaurie1 -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've seen some questions regarding this issue show up on the list in the
> past so when I saw this news article I thought I'd share the link.
>
> http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/
> laws-ban-whats-your-salary-question/ar-BBAqDF9?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
>
> As a contractor, I have a different approach. I ask what the company is
> looking to pay and can tell by the answer if they are in or out of the ball
> park for me to bother with. For instance, if they want to pay $30 for a
> senior technical writer, they are not likely coming up to the rate I want.
>
> I'd also think they lost touch with reality if that's what they think one
> goes for as a contractor... On the other hand, after 2008, there were a lot
> of starving tech writers who would take that rate to be working.
>
> What do you think?
>
> 1. Do you feel the government should intrude on employers to discourage
> gender pay equality?
> 2. Would you take a job for a lower than average amount of money to
> keep working even though it is undercutting the industry salaries for
> others?
> 3. What do you do when asked at an interview for your last salary or
> for current salary requirements?
> * Name what you want?
> * Play the back and forth game until one side gives?
> * Name a low salary thinking you might be able to negotiate up?
> * Name a high salary thinking you could go negotiate down?
> * Something else?
>
> Happy Thursday!
>
> Lin Laurie
> www.linlaurie.com<http://www.linlaurie.com> | 206.900.1861 |
> Adobe Tech Comm Partner - RoboHelp 2017 Training

> Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and
> content development | http://techwhirl.com

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Julie Stickler