Re: FYI More states starting to ban the "What's Your Salary?" Question

Subject: Re: FYI More states starting to ban the "What's Your Salary?" Question
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- laserpubs -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 21:52:06 -0700

On 4/27/2017 9:47 AM, Lin Laurie wrote:

Hi all,

I've seen some questions regarding this issue show up on the list in the past so when I saw this news article I thought I'd share the link.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/laws-ban-whats-your-salary-question/ar-BBAqDF9?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

What do you think?

1. Do you feel the government should intrude on employers to discourage gender pay equality?
2. Would you take a job for a lower than average amount of money to keep working even though it is undercutting the industry salaries for others?
3. What do you do when asked at an interview for your last salary or for current salary requirements?
* Name what you want?
* Play the back and forth game until one side gives?
* Name a low salary thinking you might be able to negotiate up?
* Name a high salary thinking you could go negotiate down?
* Something else?

Happy Thursday!
I probably have not attempted negotiations when I should have.
Most contract gigs, I told the headhunter what I was looking for and they told me what they were willing to submit me for.
Last job and this job, I was offered an amount that I accepted.
It's been ages since I was looking for work while still working .
Oh, well.

--
Jay Maechtlen
626 444-5112 office