RE: FM (2015) text insets - no track text edits when imported...

Subject: RE: FM (2015) text insets - no track text edits when imported...
From: "David Artman" <david -at- davidartman -dot- com>
To: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>, "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 10:18:57 -0700

My apologies! Not a user of tracked changes in FM, and so I made an
unfounded assumption that they would work via text insets (Retain
Source Formatting doesn't even preserve them!?). That they do not is
sad, frankly, or a major oversight/bug.

I DO know, however, that conditional text is visible in text insets and
can be enabled/disabled at the BOOK level. So maybe stop using tracked
changes (i.e., 'automatic conditionalizing') and use standard
conditions (e.g., Deleted and Changed)? You couldn't use the easy
accept/reject functions; BUT you could maintain a full revision history
within the FM file(s) and just set Deleted to Hide and turn off
condition indicators when making final deliverable(s). Should you rev
the files, you just do a one-time pass to delete Deleted-tagged content
and de-conditionalize Added-tagged content, and you're back to a 'clean
slate' for the next round of review(s). Finally, if you REALLY want
ALL history in the file(s), append a version/release number to the
Deleted and Changed condition names (e.g., Deleted-1, Changed-1;
Deleted-2,Changed-2; etc.).

[We do this in DITA using platform and rev attributes--even down to the
phrase or word level!--in conjunction with ditaval files for each
ditamap: FULL history of a file within its DITA code, not just in the
CCMS or in ZIPped archives of down-level files.]

Sorry I couldn't get you further along....

David