RE: Chapter first page always recto?

Subject: RE: Chapter first page always recto?
From: "Margaret Cekis" <margaret -dot- cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Nancy Allison'" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 22:46:07 -0500

Nancy Allison asked: "Have any of you dispensed with having every chapter
start on the recto
page? I've seen a few recent books that start recto or verso, whichever.
My thinking is, for every "Get rid of this blank page!!!" comment from
in-house reviewers, there's probably an equal number of users who are
also puzzled. Since we no longer ship printed books, and I doubt most
customers print our pdfs, people are mostly seeing them on line and are
probably wondering why those pages are blank.
'
_____________________________
Nancy:
Lately I've worked for small companies that post their docs online as PDFs,
but also want to print copies for marketing purposes, or have customers that
want to print hardcopy docs for their users. My solution is to produce two
versions, and append either "_print" or "_online" to the two files. The
"_print" version has all chapters starting on recto pages, with blank pages
when chapters end on odd pages. The "_online" versions has no blank pages to
confuse users who view the PDFs online, or print them on a single-sided
desktop printer. The labels make clear which files are which.
When I announced the release of a new manual or updated version, the email
listed the directory URL of the files, and listed both filenames, and
explained the purpose of having two file versions.
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA.