Re: Freelance, contract part-time

Subject: Re: Freelance, contract part-time
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 16:32:14 -0700

I was trying to impress on Karl that what he said was either wrong or irrelevant. And writing for different audiences differs only in what the readers expect, need and want, and what product or process knowledge you need to acquire in order for your documents to satisfactorily serve their purpose. I've written for all three of those categories of "consumer," and the process does not change in the least. You still need to perform the same audience and product research to determine what your document goals are and to satisfy them.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 5/21/2015 3:55 PM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

You make some good points, but I'm not sure you're responding to what
Karl actually said.

You can do a good or bad job with any kind of docs, but writing for an
internal audience is very different from writing for mass-market
end-user customers, and from what I hear writing for regulators is
practically a different job.

Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT