Re: Assume web-server knowledge?

Subject: Re: Assume web-server knowledge?
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 09:23:13 -0700

There has to be a minimum knowledge requirement if a web server is
involved. Most of these requirements depend a lot on the technologies used
to serve pages.

If the files are merely HTML without JavaScript, then they can run off a
file share, and a server isn't necessary. So a command to copy the files to
a common location and give everyone access to that location should suffice.
It wouldn't matter if people use http:// or file:/// because in this case
both would work.

However, if JavaScript is used, and the client work site uses IE, then the
Scripts will be blocked when loaded locally, so a web server is
required. Also, if specific web server features are required to generate
content from scripts or include common content, then you would want to make
sure the server is capable of running those features.

In both cases, you should state the required features needed by the web
server which hosts the documentation. This would politely invite the user
to evaluate their level of expertise by describing technology that should
be familiar. Otherwise they will seek out someone with the necessary skills.

Roundabout way to answer an open ended question.

-T

On Wednesday, June 4, 2014, McLauchlan, Kevin <
Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

> My question is when serving from a webserver is contemplated, should we
> have any more instruction in the README than "Copy the contents of the
> documentation DVD to the web server"?
>
> Should we just assume that anyone doing it knows where it should go, where
> the top index file would need to go, whether or where any web.config file
> might go, etc.?

Doc-To-Help 2014 v1 now available. SharePoint 2013 support, NetHelp enhancements, and more. Read all about it.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/NNcWqS